Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Trek to Shreejanjyoti Primary school


We set out at on a beautiful morning at 7 am, the sun was peeking over the hills and lighting up the Bharse valley.  Our plans were ambitious to hike up the mountain and down the other side to the first school and then down and up another mountain to the second school and then up and down again to Bharse village.  The views kept me snapping pics as we ascended to the heights.  Toply, the highest mountain in this region, 8,000 feet loomed over head and we were hoping for views of Annapurna, but there was haze in the distance.  When we reached the top the vista below caught my breath, yet they my friends did not realize how beautiful it was as it is normal for them.  How many things do we see each day and not understand the marvel before us?  This trek of 5 hours was tough on my ankle and knees and by the time I reach the 1st school I knew I would not be able to make the second journey and be hard pressed to make the return easily.  The welcome at Shree Janiyoti was again warm with the young children not exactly sure what we were there for.  The stared at me as if I was from Mars.




After the ritual welcome, which I have come to know as eventual with the placing of red dye on your face and being covered by garlands and a few speeches, Then it was my turn to thank them and share the small amount of art and school supplies. I then shared of a school on the other side of the world that wants to be friends and help them.  They have no maps of the world in their 2 room school house and this is something we have to do something about.  The children watched us eat lunch and I remembered my friend Delaram, a school official and teacher from the main school telling me that they don’t get lunch in any of the schools and very few children bring anything.  The parents know little of nutrition and how much children need to eat to grow. At this time our party separated and ½ went to the other school for the welcome they planned for me and to present a small amount of the art and supplies.  My friends Delaram Dhakal, Nabin Thapa, and Khrisna Thapa helped me slowly hobble back to Hem’s house.  I could not have done it without them.  It was another I did it for me and yet despite the pain I was elated by the experience.  I want to thank the students and teachers again from IDS as they have no idea how their gifts are being appreciated.  Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment