Friday, January 23, 2015


What makes a country? Is it the people, the resources, or the land.  Why do people live clinging to a precarious life?   Here is Djibouti I was struck by the resourcefulness and determination of these people.  I spent the day with Issa people, they are similar to Somali, but proud of their uniqueness. I arrive with my friends Mohamad and Teth?, not sure his spelling but an active Army Colonel responsible for logistics and assigned to help by the President of Djibouti.  I can see this is important to him too.  As we pull up the village of Grand Douda meeting room and kitchen a line of beautifully dressed women welcome me. An old lady with a strong well lined face, who is the head of the Coop at here wants to know if I can help their children.  Some of the families are barely surviving and the coop tries to help, but those children would benefit from lunches every day.  If I remember there are 1200 that live here and survive from the few wells that they have.   I learn that when the children get to high school age only the ones who have family that they can live with in the city can continue to finish their education.   Travel the moderately short distance for about 70 children is unthinkable financially.  This is something I think we can do help them.  Does it mean finding transportation to rent, or buying them a bus?  Not sure, but In another area we travel to Small Douda to a farm where a retired Army Colonel has successful dug some wells and is growing many things plus raising livestock.  He employs 8 right now to work his farm.  He tried to help his neighbor dig a well, but a flash flood washed away all the work.    If we can drill a well and supply the water with our solar powered pumps we can create a mini coop of 15 families that can survive off this arid land.  The Colonel's farm is a model that we can use as it exponentially creates a lifestyle for those families and more that will be hired to help.  We also find another coop of 32 families that have made the land lush around them.  They live off a well drilled by the government 30 years ago, but it is not enough for all and their needs are additional water and fencing to keep their area sealed off from wild animals eating their plants and fruits.  The old man is proud of how they have done, but I can tell it is not easy for him and his responsibility to the coop is taken very seriously.  One man says so many come and promise to help and are never seen again.  This strikes me to the core.  I hope we can be the one he says did not let them down.    I hope this blog gives you a taste of my experiences as I am just sharing part of them and this is just the first day out.  Rob
                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment